PuzzelB is a project which started off as a Hip hop Theatre Production and is now become a dance company based in Brussels/Belgium.
During the winter 2011, on a cold night in Belgium, Cindy suddenly got inspired and wrote a script. The story of a bunch of students, rebelling against the authorities and a linguistical “gestapo”, quickly unfolded. The script was an intruiging fictional story, happening in 3014, which intertwined comedic and dark characters. A trio of three independant women knew this had to be taken to the stage. They joined forces and started working towards this vision (Cindy Claes, Amy Bousard, Evelyne Mvuezolo). This explosive and political project finaly took off in 2013…
Being an exciting groundbreaking Hiphop Theatre show, this work-in-progress makes Hip hop speak out about division, unity and peace within society. The show tackles current and future-to-be stereotypes and makes you question your own unconscious judgements.
“3014, a group of 8 students attend a school where “Muntjes” and “Kruisjes” are forced to study side by side. Friendships spark off as well as youthful love stories. However dislike and hatred slowly starts growing between both clans. Even the school teachers don’t hide their preferences. Everything seems under control until the school director announces the celebration of “the international day of culture & linguistical diversity”… A time bomb explodes.”
PuzzelB is not just a show and a work-in-progress, it has also been a platform for professional development allowing 8 dancers and emerging leaders within the dance sector to expand their creative horizons. They trained, sweat, discovered the beauty of Hip hop Theatre and unleashed hidden leadership skills they had within themselves. Choreographer and playwright Cindy Claes spent more than 10 years honing her skills around the globe (Los Angeles, Jamaica, Trinidad, UK, Africa, etc.) as a dance storyteller, she wanted to share her experiences to empower the next generation of artists. The project aims to give Hip hop Theatre dance artists more visibility and appreciation in the future. It wants to emphasize how Hip hop artists, when appreciated and supported, contribute immensely to the well-being of society.
Cindy travelled twice a month from London to Brussels to rehearse with the company from September until December. The creative process was intense, dance & theatre homework was given and rehearsals hours were long (often 10am-10pm). The members of the company are aged 16-32 years old. But don’t be mislead by these apparent differences… The youngest ones took many responsibilties and grew quickly through the hours, their work ethics were impeccable.
The production premiered in Zinnema (Brussels) in January 2014. Its success created waves of enthusiasm amongst our audiences and new fans and had PuzzelB as a human experience had many domino effects, here are just a few examples:
– Yorgo, 24 years old, decided to follow his dream and moved to London in June 2014 to persue his career as an artist. He got his first professional job as a dancer in August 2014.
– Jenny, 27 years old, was hungery to persue new creative avenues to express herself. She is currently working on producing her own Dance Theatre production, which will come out in 2015.
– Kevin, 16 years old, changed College and is now starting full-time education in Dance. Coming from a Krumping and Hiphop background, he decided to perfect his understanding of the art form and want to make a carreer within the arts. He is now studying at the “Academie Royale des Beaux Arts” in Brussels.
– Jo, 21 years old, is a dancer and a composer/beat maker. He had never thought of producing music for theatre production, yet he composed original music for PuzzelB, which opened up a whole new world of possibilities for the future.
– four PuzzelB dancers travelled to London in February 2014 to participate to a unique professional development program taught by Shady Squad (from Jamaica). The dancers not only travelled to invest in their training, they also organised many fundraising events in Brussels to make this happen.
The first PuzzelB production was supported by the VGC, Anderlecht and produced in association with Zinnema.
We are now proud to say that the company also won a renown price for its artistic excellence, we were the winners of the “Prijs Roger Van de Voorde”. Stay tuned as 2015 has a few surprises in the pipeline already.